Monday 31 August 2015

To Beat Stress – Play and Babble


Sometimes you find something that changes your direction. Today I stumbled on the two articles below. Actually I was cleaning out my e-mail in-box and the title to an article caught my eye. And below it was another equally enticing title. I was definitely smiling by the time I finished reading them and I hope you smile, too.There are two different approaches to stress here and both are different from the main stream approach to stress management. They ask you to
1.     Play and
2.     Babble
Yep, That’s it. Play and babble. Read them. Please. And below are my comments.
Did you ever see a child who was totally engrossed in play who was stressed? I’ll bet not. When was the last time you played?  Yesterday I was a little up-tight until my four year old grandson came in with a small football between his legs walking like a penguin. He had a regular sized Nerf football with him that he gave to me, saying nothing, but simply grinning the invitation to join him. How can you pass up an invitation like that?
So I put the football between my legs and joined him in the penguin waddle. We had a race and, of course, he won. We were laughing too hard to continue after just a few minutes. And the stressed-out feelings were gone. Everyone isn’t lucky enough to have my grandson but there are still other fun, laugh producing activities to use for stress relief. Get creative and find some for yourself.
But what about babbling? Try it, you might like it.
Many years ago, when I was an emotional mess, I went to a massage therapist who also did energy healing work. Recognizing that I was an emotional mess, she told me to do this exercise: when driving in my car, open my mouth and let any sounds that needed to be expressed, come out. I thought it was the stupidest thing I had ever heard of but figured it couldn’t hurt to try it. After trying several times with no results, it happened. I heard the most mournful, angry sounds  primordial sounds- that I had ever heard coming from the depths of me. It was intense and I was stunned. I did that every time I drove the car and after a couple of weeks, it was done. And, as I look back, that was the beginning of the real healing that took place. If you are very tense and very angry, you might like to try this before you babble. Trust what you hear and allow yourself to relax.
So what can you lose except some stress?  Hmmm. Can you play and babble simultaneously? Get a group together and play Babble? It’s free and it just might work.

ARTICLE SOURCE: http://theselfimprovementblog.com/self-improvement/self-improvement-skills/stress/to-beat-stress-play-and-babble/